The U.S. Department of Agriculture is providing a second round of payments for dairy producers through the Organic Dairy Marketing Assistance Program.
This is another $5 million to help dairy producers mitigate market volatility, higher input and transportation costs, and unstable feed supply and prices. USDA says these increased costs have created unique hardships in the organic dairy industry.
USDA’s Farm Service Agency has already paid out $15 million in the first round of payments for eligible producers. This brings total ODMAP payments to $20 million.
“This program is critical to keeping small, organic dairies sustainable as they continue to weather a combination of challenges outside of their control,” says FSA Administrator Zach Ducheneaux. “In total, the Farm Service Agency is providing $20 million to give organic dairy producers additional economic support to stay in operation until markets return to more favorable conditions.”
How ODMAP Works
FSA accepted ODMAP applications from May 24 to August 11.
Eligible producers for ODMAP included certified organic dairy operations that produce milk from cows, goats and sheep. ODMAP provides financial assistance for a producer’s projected marketing costs in 2023.
For ODMAP applicants, the first payment was factored by 75 percent. USDA has determined that producers need more assistance and funding remains available. So, the second round of payments will provide the remaining 25 percent of requested assistance to each eligible applicant.
The second ODMAP payment is automatic. Participating producers do not need to take any more action.
Learn more about FSA programs through your local USDA Service Center: https://www.farmers.gov/working-with-us/service-center-locator