For the 14th consecutive year, Wisconsin cheesemakers captured more awards than any other state or country at the American Cheese Society’s (ACS) 2018 Competition. Known as the “Oscars” of the cheese industry, Wisconsin cheese and dairy producers captured a total of 94 awards, more than the next two states combined, at the 35th annual competition and conference held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this past weekend.
Wisconsin cheesemakers, butter and yogurt makers, claimed 26 percent of all awards, including 27 first place ribbons, 30 second place and 37 third place. Over 30 Wisconsin companies took home one or more awards.
Wisconsin cheese companies also swept the awards in five categories:
- American Originals, Brick Cheese – made from cow’s milk
- American Originals, Brick Muenster – made from cow’s milk
- Italian Type Cheeses, Grating types – all milks
- Flavored Cheeses, Feta with Flavor Added – all milks
- Cheese Spreads, Open Category Cold Pack Style- all milks
The 2018 ACS competition included 1,954 entries from 259 companies representing 35 U.S. states, 5 Canadian provinces, Mexico, Colombia and Brazil.