It was a foggy morning in Amherst, Wisconsin – one that would change a family forever.
On August 15th, Mike Biadasz was taking care of the family beef operation as usual. He was working to agitate the farms manure pit when he was overcome with hydrogen sulfide gas. Mike, along with 16 Holstein steers, died at the scene.
Family members say they’ve learned that the fog that morning kept the gases close to the ground – one of the reasons Mike was overcome. They say they’ve also learned that as cattle’s diets change, so does the composition of manure gases farmers are working around. That’s why they’ve decided to keep Mike’s spirit alive and try to save other farmers from the same situation.
This Friday, in Mike’s honor, a special Manure Pit Safety Seminar will happen in Plover. Registration is requested by the close of business today.